Horace Mann

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

flyeres
Insurance Journal Fan

Horace Mann

Post by flyeres »

Is the Horace Mann "Exclusive Agent" opportunity a captive agency? They say the opportunity is for "individuals willing to invest in owning and operating an insurance and financial services agency". They also say they offer a unique territory with active an active client base. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this...
-E.C.S.
Gunther
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Horace Mann

Post by Gunther »

You can only sell their insurance products. Walks like a duck.....

They market to to School Teachers here in Illlinois. For that they are known as "Teachers Insurance". Just moved a Horace Mann client to MetLife. Got them more insurance and saved them a ton of money on both their home and auto.
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Horace Mann

Post by gregcw »

My personal experience with Horace Mann was with an agent that I had experience with, before he became an insurance agent. He ran a barter/service exchange program that that the Department of Consumer and Buinsess services eventually shut down for ethical reason. I ran into him again through a customer he had, not a teacher, that I was turning over to one of my companies. He refused to provide me proof of insurance for the customer, which as a representative for the company, he is required to do and referred me directly to the company who referred me back to him. I subsequently learned that his wife also was licensed, had an independent agency, and that was where he placed business not eligible for Horace Mann. I just checked his license and found he's no longer licensed.

Sounds a lot like the experience that I've had with Farmers. Inexpereinced and unprofessionl agents.
Gregcw