NEW INDEPENDENT AGENCY & COMPANY APPOINTMENTS

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

J&J
Insurance Journal Fan

NEW INDEPENDENT AGENCY & COMPANY APPOINTMENTS

Post by J&J »

I will be opening my independent p&c agency here in WA early next year. Any advise on what particular companies to approach in for appointments? Any advise on commitments to these companies? I have been in the business for a long time with a large independent agency, however since I am venturing on my own, I will not be able to take my current book of business.

Please help!!! :D
J&J
dev1nsan
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by dev1nsan »

I'm in california so I'm not familiar with the companies out there. I think it's O.K. to commit a little bit higher than what you will realistically achieve, as long as you don't go overboard.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Close to 7 years ago, I opened my p&c agency. I left all my accounts with the agency I was a producer for and started from scratch. The companies I approached were those I had the most familiarity with and where my business was placed at the other agency. I didn't get them all but I had a shorter learning curve and the company reps already were comfortable with me. You didn't say whether you specialize in any one aspect of the business so it would be hard to point you in any direction. As far as committments, they aren't binding. Just don't bite off more than you can chew.
rdavis
Insurance Journal Fan

Appointments

Post by rdavis »

We are always interested in appointing new agents. We have access to many carriers writing P & C coverages in the pacific northwest and we have reasonable commintments that any experienced agent can reach. Please contact me rmanzanares@kitobey.com for more information.