Career Seeker Investigating Insurance

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

EntreIns
Insurance Journal Fan

Career Seeker Investigating Insurance

Post by EntreIns »

I have over 4 years btob sales/marketing experience as a top performer. I am looking into becoming an Insurance Agent. I am not licensed, nor do I have a book of business-obviously. I do have a huge network. Any info on Country Insurance? Also, have seen info for new agent programs with Allstate, but everything I look at through company is to purchase or start from scratch.
teeman
Insurance Journal Fan

Career Seeker

Post by teeman »

You didn't mention what state you were located in. If you are in Texas I know of a couple of companies that might be able to assist you in starting an independent agency.
EntreIns
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by EntreIns »

I am in IL
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

If you're in/near Chicago, check out one of the larger brokerages - Aon, Marsh, etc. They are in desperate need of new blood and talent.
Mr. Met
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mr. Met »

EntreIns,

As someone in b2b insurance sales I would suggest that you look into other industries before you make a decision. Don't get me wrong, this can be a very rewarding field if you find the right job.

If I had it to do all over again I would look for a field that values its sales force. Many agencies want their producers to work on a draw (commission only), have no ownership in their book and sign unfair non-compete agreements.

As a whole, the industry does a poor job training new sales people. Most independent agencies are small businesses and don't have the resources or know how to develop effective training programs. In many cases new producers don't have the necessary product knowledge or sales skills to thrive in a very competitive field.

If you are a top performer in your field why would you switch? Are their other fields that would enable you to take advantage of you existing network?
vickie37
Insurance Journal Fan

Insurance sales - I agree

Post by vickie37 »

Mr. Met wrote:EntreIns,

As someone in b2b insurance sales I would suggest that you look into other industries before you make a decision. Don't get me wrong, this can be a very rewarding field if you find the right job.

If I had it to do all over again I would look for a field that values its sales force. Many agencies want their producers to work on a draw (commission only), have no ownership in their book and sign unfair non-compete agreements.

As a whole, the industry does a poor job training new sales people. Most independent agencies are small businesses and don't have the resources or know how to develop effective training programs. In many cases new producers don't have the necessary product knowledge or sales skills to thrive in a very competitive field.

If you are a top performer in your field why would you switch? Are their other fields that would enable you to take advantage of you existing network?