New agent E&O

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

gshiwota
Insurance Journal Fan

New agent E&O

Post by gshiwota »

I've been an active Health/Life agent for the past 3 years working directly for a carrier. My goal this year is to break free from my carrier and start my own agency. Can anyone recommend where to get E&O coverage? How much can I expect to pay (this is a startup agency)? I'm in Southern California and plan on selling both P&C and Health/Life policies.

Thanks!
shemeshka
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by shemeshka »

up to $3K
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

New agent E&O

Post by rodgwag »

How do you plan to get P&C markets to sell? :?
Rodgwag
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Even through we all get a ton of direct mail and cold calls about agent E&O, I still find that my state association has the cheapest coverage there is, and if you're lucky, you can sell it to yourself through agency services and get a commission! How sweet is that???
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

Go to PIA webb site log on as a newbie. They will sell E & O to insurance agents only without joining the membership. The carrier is CNA Ins. And the love new ventures. There is no better avenue unless you have a larger book :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
gshiwota
Insurance Journal Fan

RE: Thanks for the help!

Post by gshiwota »

Thanks for your responses. As a newbie I sincerely appreciate all of your advice.

Rodgwag... I've been asking myself the same question. I was thinking of MGAs and just calling anyone and everyone (carriers) for an appointment. Not sure how else to get P&C appointments in SoCal so any advice would be great. Health insurance in CA is a different story and carriers will appoint anyone who brings sold cases to the door.

I plan on focusing primarily on health, however I already have three customers that want me to write their commercial liability, auto and workers comp policies. I have many contacts that own small businesses that want me to be their agent.

Many thanks!
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Thanks for your responses.

Post by rodgwag »

gshiwota, I too am in southern California. I sell in several states but have many good direct appointments here in California; Safeco, Mercury, GMAC, Progressive, Bristol West and many others. I can help get you started and later you can buy your personal insurance book from me. Commercial auto is also available if you wish to write it. As for placing Commercial Gl and other more complicated products I will have to teach you because the coverage needed or not needed can be very intense. Mono or multi-line you need to understand the client and the clients potential exposure. As you know we are always learning in this business.
Please email me and I will tell you more. rodgwag@sbcglobal.net
Rodgwag