Producer renewals?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

DFresh
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Producer renewals?

Post by DFresh »

I would be interested to know how many of you guys pay your producers renewals. I am about to hire my first producer and am trying to decide how I should pay him/her, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

Normal procedure is to pay a higher percentage of commission for actual new business written, and then a lower percentage on renewals. The thing is that you want the producer to do their best to help retain the renewals as the up front costs to bring in a new piece of business are high.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

It really depends on the situation. If you're providing a csr to service the account then generally the commission is lower on renewals - 60-40 split on new can go as low as 75-25 on renewal. If you're expecting the producer to service their own book then you need to keep the new & renewal at the same level or you won't retain the business. There really isn't some magic formula out there. Every agency has to determine what the business and producer is worth to them. The agency has to cover their costs but don't loose sight that the producer has to earn a living. Comission splits have to be a win-win.