Contractors and contracts - ah, who needs em?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Ouch, sorry

Post by volstrike3 »

I have been through that song and dance before. General contractors live in a bidding world and do not really respect insurance professionals like they do their attorney or CPA. They view you just like any other vendor. You can fall all over yourself trying to help them but they will still switch brokers at a moments notice. I write a lot of trade contractors but I steer clear of the generals. The best GC'sin our area are with Aon or Gallagher, and they with good markets so they are not going anywhere. Trying to write GC's is a waste of time in my opinion.

Some clients and prospects just don't get it. Let your competitors try to please those people. Who know's, they may go get a restrictive but cheap policy from James River or Lincoln General, have a claim that is not covered and then realize that maybe you did know what you were talking about.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

He actually is a trade contractor (plumbing), mostly commercial. Doesn't want to pay for a/i's, waivers, or primary wording. Has a B license though because he will do washer replacements at apartments requiring some carpentry.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

I see

Post by volstrike3 »

You should be able to get a blanket AI on that. What market is he with?
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Forgot to mention he needs an a/i that includes products/comp ops for the a/i. He is currently with Colony. There are several divisions within Colony. The contract division, where the MGA has binding authority, does not offer a CG2037 or CG 2010 11 85 type endorsement. We would have to move him to the other side of Colony and their a/i endorsements with prod/comp op wording cost per endorsement. He also gets annoyed when he has to pay for primary wording and waivers.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by volstrike3 »

Not sure what his premium is but I think NAC and Landmark treat apartments as commercial and offer the blanket CG 20 10 11 85. It is worth checking with your wholesaler.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Thanks. These are considerations but now he won't send the submission I sent over for his signature back to me.