Suggestions on a GA

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Suggestions on a GA

Post by meytai »

Hey Community,

Thank you for all of your help and responses to my other posts. I need help on another thing. Right now i am working with GAs that only / mostly offer non-admitted carriers. Most of the risks that i have submitted to the non-admitteds were suitable for that market.. however.. i am having difficulty finding a GA that will take care of those clients that qualify for an admitted carrier. I have access to one GA.. but they have agent contracts, and as a result i cannot charge a broker fee for all of the work we put in.

Are there any suggests that you can make to me.. a GA that offers admitteds but also allows fees to be charged?

Your advice / responses are greatly appreciated

Meytai
Odessian
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Suggestions on a GA

Post by Odessian »

3 companies come to mind: AgentSecure, SuperiorAccess and Star Alliance
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by volstrike3 »

The carriers pay you 15-20% commission for the "work you put in". IMO- you will have trouble retaining standard commercial business if you charge broker fees because any agent that competes against you will throw you under the bus and make you look bad for double dipping... and offer to take it over with no fee.
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

Hey,

Thank you for your responses................... and opinions.

Uni
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Just a quick note....most General Agent/Wholesale/Managing General Agents don't write a lot of admitted business. There is way far too much capacity in the preferred market for a GA to do alot of Admitted Business. Our bread and butter accounts are the accounts with losses, or that are a tough class (medical products, residential construction) or accounts that need large limits, in excess of what the preferred markets can do.

If you have a large book, or are trying to build a large book, of preferred business, perhaps targeting one or two preferred markets, and going after those appointments, would be a better long-term solution.

Good luck to you!
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
DACALIDUDE
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by DACALIDUDE »

Hello,
I am a Producer, here in Southern California. You should try Swett & Crawford and ask for Stephanie Castro-Underwriter. The direct office number is 559-261-3341. Her specialty is the Transportation Industry.
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

Hello meytai, I see posting looking for auto, home and commercial markets with reasonable commission request. The following MGA in particular may solve the problem for many of you, trying to contract an appointments with impossible carriers. http://www.abraminterstate.com/ ABRAM Interstate Insurance Services, has help us with non-standard commercial opportunities.
They have a very good program for personal lines with several great carriers like, Travelers and Safeco.. Both of these carriers are definitely a player in the California market. We use them constantly through a separate appointment.
You know it wasn't to long ago that an individual agency had any access to a good personal lines carrier through MGA's, so take advantage of it.
:wink:
Its better to ask forgiveness then permission
(just do it)