Benmosche Says AIG Is Still in ‘Good Shape’ Despite Huge Losses

November 4, 2011

AIG suffered a perfect storm of natural disasters and adverse market conditions in the third quarter, its chief executive officer said Friday, the day after the company posted a net loss of more than $4 billion.

On a conference call with analysts, CEO Bob Benmosche defended the bailed-out insurer, saying its liquidity was strong and that it had ample resources available to continue repaying the U.S. government for its 2008 rescue.

“I can assure you we’re in very good shape,” said Benmosche, whom many people credit with rescuing American International Group from a breakup after taking over as CEO in 2009.

AIG’s loss, its worst in nearly two years, stemmed from the declining fair value of its one-third stake in Asian insurer AIA, writedowns on older airplanes at leasing business ILFC and catastrophe losses from hurricanes and typhoons.

AIG shares fell 3.4 percent to $23.80 in premarket trading. At that price, the stock is nearly $5 below the U.S. Treasury’s break-even point.

Benmosche said AIG would be happy to buy back shares from the Treasury’s 77 percent stake in the company, if it were interested in selling at what are currently loss-making prices, but he indicated that might be unlikely.

“Time is not of the essence for the U.S. Treasury,” he said.

Benmosche also addressed the company’s plans for the stake in AIA, which it was restricted from selling until late last month. The shares are held in a special entity, and the Treasury holds a preferred interest in that entity.

Backing out the cash in the special purpose vehicle, Benmosche said AIG owed about $6.8 billion on that preferred interest.

“Right now we’re going to stand pat” on AIA, Benmosche said, adding that the company had a variety of options to pay down that balance.

Topics USA Profit Loss AIG

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.

Latest Comments

  • November 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm
    Dave says:
    If Benmosche had any integrity at all, he would buy back the government shares at the $28.75 break-even point and make us suckered taxpayers whole. But we certainly know where... read more
  • November 5, 2011 at 9:05 am
    Former Status Quo says:
    and i suppose you are quite content with the $180B plus that the government has provided and continues to provide Fannie and Freddie. At least AIG is able to continue paying b... read more
  • November 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    wudchuck says:
    this company is not going to see the daylight, where it can give money to any stockholder, much less the us gov't or the actual taxpayer whom are owning this company... we all... read more

Add a CommentSee All Comments (3)Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features