Texas health officials have advised people not to fish or eat seafood from parts of some Houston-area bays as cleanup continues following last week’s tanker and barges accident and toxic leak.
An official with the Texas Department of State Health Services on Tuesday said the advisory involves portions of Galveston and Trinity bays. Spokesman Chris Van Deusen says water sample results are pending.
The agency closed private oyster harvesting areas in Galveston Bay following Friday’s collision along the Houston Ship Channel near Bayport. The accident involved a tanker, a tugboat and two barges, including one leaking about 9,000 barrels of a gasoline blend stock into the water.
Coast Guard spokesman Greg Beuerman said Tuesday that cleanup continues using booms and skimmers.
Related:
- Houston Ship Channel Reopens After Collision Pollutes Air, Water
- Official: Houston Ship Channel Restrictions Could Continue All Week
Topics Texas
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Insurance Issue Leaves Some Players Off World Baseball Classic Rosters
Florida Insurance Costs 14.5% Lower Than Without Reforms, Report Finds
What Analysts Are Saying About the 2026 P/C Insurance Market
Trump’s EPA Rollbacks Will Reverberate for ‘Decades’ 

